Monday, February 2, 2009

Simple User Interface

One of my favorite interfaces that I use daily is my iced tea pitcher. 

It is a simple design. There is one handle, which is large enough to permit fast and easy access, even for larger hands. There is a groove opposite the handle which clearly indicates that the tea should be poured through it. 

Another feature I like is that the handle is solid glass, rather than being the hollow type allows the liquid contents to enter it. I like this particular feature because it allows me to grasp the handle without being burned (when the tea comes out hot) nor frozen (if I add ice inside the pitcher - more on that below).


Simple, elegant design

There was some confusion in class when I was asked if the pitcher had an ice-guard, at which point I revealed that I did not put ice into the pitcher, prompting some to question whether it was in fact an iced tea pitcher at all. To clarify, it is in fact iced tea, but I personally like to add the ice in the glass, not in the pitcher, thereby removing the need for an ice guard, which this particular model does not in fact have.


Easy pouring action

Another aspect of this pitcher that I enjoy is the solid and balanced feel. It is not flimsy like some plastic pitchers I have owned. It is easy to pick up, hold, and pour. Overall, I think it is a great pitcher.

1 comment:

  1. I agree. Tea is great, and it's nice that there is such a simple interface we can use to get tea. If the teapot had been designed in modern times, it would probably have all kinds of complicated and unnecessary functions. There would probably be a keypad, so only you could access your tea. There would bug filters, laser guided pouring, and a complex way of folding the pot, so it would take up less space in the fridge. Lucky for us, the teapot was designed a long time ago for the sole purpose of pouring tea.

    ReplyDelete